Greetings PVLA Volunteers!
Thank you for your continued dedication and support of the creative community through Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts. As the world collectively seeks to respond to the global COVID-19 pandemic, PVLA is continuing to aid artists and arts organizations across the Philadelphia region. Now more than ever, it is essential that we as a community come together to help those in need.
Please see below for a list of available pro bono projects for artists and arts organizations, and let us know whether you would be interested and available to take on one of these cases. If you are interested in taking on a pro bono assignment, please contact one of our Legal Service Coordinators at [email protected] to obtain further information If you have any questions about representing a pro bono PVLA or PA Patent client, please do not hesitate to contact our Executive Director, Ryan Morris, at [email protected].
NOTE: attorneys should be sure to submit a volunteer application before signing on to take a pro bono case with PVLA.
- Project 26938: Client is an independent musical artist seeking review and consultation on a publishing agreement that he intends to use with other artists on a joint recording project.
- Project 26975: Client is a small artistic partnership that initiates community engagement through the creation of public art. Client is seeking legal consultation regarding a potential breach of contract by one of their customers.
- Project 26924: Client is the sole proprietor of a small jazz band seeking assistance in determining eligibility for PPP loan funding or other financial relief options through the SBA.
- Project 26943: Client is the sole proprietor of a small art show and custom framing business seeking assistance in filing for unemployment assistance or other financial relief options available to her.
- Project 26359: Client is a singer and musical artist seeking consultation related to royalties paid through BMI and/or possible legal action against a radio promoter hired to promote her songs to radio stations.
- Project 26537: Client is the Community Outreach Chair of a local arts organization seeking counsel and assistance in pursuing a possible defamation suit for an allegedly false Protection From Abuse order issued against her by her husband.
- Project 26756: Client is a nonprofit historical preservation society seeking assistance in obtaining restitution of fees paid under a dock construction agreement for a project design that failed to fit the client’s stated budgetary limits.
- Project 26843: Client is an independent music artist seeking consultation and assistance in resolving a potential case for infringement against one of her works.
- Project 26846: Client is a graphic designer seeking consultation and assistance in responding to allegations of trademark infringement and unfair competition for use of her business name.
- Project 26916: Client is a visual artist/painter seeking assistance in recovering his artworks from a gallery owner following an exhibition earlier this year.
- Project 26580: Client is a writer and game show developer seeking assistance in contacting two television networks which had previously expressed interest in his TV game show idea.
- Project 26825: Client is the daughter of two prominent Philadelphia Jazz musicians seeking assistance in obtaining copyright ownership and control of her mother’s music catalog.
- Project 26946: Client is a small independent theater company seeking assistance in registering a series of plays for copyright protection, as well as a review and consultation regarding the adequacy of a licensing agreement with another theater company to produce the works.
- Project 26962: Client is a nonprofit theater and performing arts organization seeking assistance in protecting creative elements of a children’s “Play Package” that they have created, as well as licensing the Package to other organizations.
- Project 26959: Client is a nonprofit community development and theater company seeking a consultation to review and counsel them on a new set of conflict of interest and whistleblower policies for its bylaws.
- Project 26967: Client is the founder of a small nonprofit poetry arts & education center seeking to establish and incorporate a new nonprofit arts center separate and independent from his original nonprofit.
- Project 26422: Client is an artist with a home studio in Philadelphia seeking assistance in appealing a property tax increase levied by the Philadelphia Office of Property Assessment.
- Project 26703: Client is a sculptor looking to convert her property into an AirBNB and wants to obtain an attorney to make sure she is paying the appropriate taxes and obtains the appropriate licensing, etc.
- Project 26966: Client is a nonprofit theater company located in Mt. Airy seeking counsel and assistance in either negotiating a new lease with the owner of their theater or exploring the possibility of purchasing part/all of the property.
- Project 26972: Client is an independent graphic artist seeking consultation regarding a potential dispute with her landlord.
- Project 27005: Client is an individual photographer seeking to set up an LLC to house her latest photography project depicting non-traumatic images of black life in Philadelphia.