Greetings PVLA Volunteers!
Thank you for your continued dedication and support of the creative community through Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts. As the world collectively seeks to respond to the global COVID-19 pandemic, PVLA is continuing to aid artists and arts organizations across the Philadelphia region. Now more than ever, it is essential that we as a community come together to help those in need.
Please see below for a list of available pro bono projects for artists and arts organizations, and let us know whether you would be interested and available to take on one of these cases. If you are interested in taking on a pro bono assignment, please contact one of our Legal Service Coordinators at [email protected] to obtain further information If you have any questions about representing a pro bono PVLA or PA Patent client, please do not hesitate to contact our Executive Director, Ryan Morris, at [email protected].
NOTE: attorneys should be sure to submit a volunteer application before signing on to take a pro bono case with PVLA.
- Project 26924: Client is the sole proprietor of a small jazz band seeking assistance in determining eligibility for PPP loan funding or other financial relief options through the SBA.
- Project 26943: Client is the sole proprietor of a small art show and custom framing business seeking assistance in filing for unemployment assistance or other financial relief options available to her.
- Project 26537: Client is the Community Outreach Chair of a local arts organization seeking counsel and assistance in pursuing a possible defamation suit for an allegedly false Protection From Abuse order issued against her by her husband.
- Project 26756: Client is a nonprofit historical preservation society seeking assistance in obtaining restitution of fees paid under a dock construction agreement for a project design that failed to fit the client’s stated budgetary limits. NOTE – client is in need of an attorney with prior contract/commercial litigation experience.
- Project 26846: Client is a graphic designer seeking consultation and assistance in responding to allegations of trademark infringement and unfair competition for use of her business name.
- Project 26916: Client is a visual artist/painter seeking assistance in recovering his artworks from a gallery owner following an exhibition earlier this year.
- Project 27004: Client is an actress seeking legal counsel and assistance in responding to potentially defamatory claims of discrimination that were made against her by a former cast member in retaliation for complaints of sexual harassment that she had issued against him.
- Project 26580: Client is a writer and game show developer seeking assistance in contacting two television networks which had previously expressed interest in his TV game show idea.
- Project 26238: Client is an individual songwriter seeking consultation with an attorney to discuss IP rights and ownership for an album that he is planning to record with several other musical artists.
- Project 26825: Client is the daughter of two prominent Philadelphia Jazz musicians seeking assistance in obtaining copyright ownership and control of her mother’s music catalog.
- Project 26917: Client is an individual filmmaker seeking consultation with an attorney to discuss legal considerations involved in the use of archival footage and photographs in her documentary film project about the work of Creative Access Philadelphia – an organization dedicated to increasing access to the arts and raising awareness of artists within the Deaf community. (See also Small Business below).
- Project 26925: Client is an independent filmmaker seeking assistance in negotiating and securing a licensing agreement for her latest production about sexual violence awareness with a national anti-sexual violence nonprofit. Client also seeks legal consultation regarding the submission of her film to various domestic and international film festivals.
- Project 26962: Client is a nonprofit theater and performing arts organization seeking assistance in protecting creative elements of a children’s “Play Package” that they have created, as well as licensing the Package to other organizations.
- Project 26983: Clients are a pair of brothers currently engaged in designing reversible sports apparel featuring designs that resemble or incorporate popular sports team logos. Clients are seeking a consultation with an attorney to discuss the legal concerns surrounding the use of these logos in their clothing designs.
- Project 27001: Client is a nonprofit org. focused on assisting jazz & blues musicians with financial, health, housing and similar crises. Client is seeking a consultation to discuss the legal considerations involved in setting up online broadcasts of pre-recorded jazz performances incorporating both original and copyrighted works.
- Project 27008: Client is an individual writer and filmmaker seeking consultation and assistance from an attorney regarding requests from two former co-producers to give up her share of ownership rights in a short film that the three of them created together. Client may also require assistance in negotiating with these co-producers to determine her share of royalties from a potential licensing deal.
- Project 26967: Client is the founder of a small nonprofit poetry arts & education center seeking to establish and incorporate a new nonprofit arts center separate and independent from his original nonprofit.
- Project 26942: Client is a newly-formed nonprofit record label seeking legal counsel to determine whether its current and anticipated business and fundraising activities can be properly included in its nonprofit purpose, and to determine what constitutes a tax-deductible contribution to their organization. If needed, client may wish to have the attorney assist them in setting up a separate, for-profit entity to house certain business activities related to the record label.
- Project 26993: Client is an architect and filmmaker seeking a consultation regarding incorporation of a 501(c)(3) nonprofit for his latest film project.
- Project 26703: Client is a sculptor looking to convert her property into an AirBNB and wants to obtain an attorney to make sure she is paying the appropriate taxes and obtains the appropriate licensing, etc.
- Project 26972: Client is an independent graphic artist seeking consultation regarding a potential dispute with her landlord.
- Project 26917: Client is an individual filmmaker seeking assistance in setting up an LLC to house a documentary film project focused on the work and accomplishments of Creative Access Philadelphia – a nonprofit dedicated to increasing access to the arts and raising awareness of artists within the Deaf community. (See also Intellectual Property Above).
- Project 27005: Client is an individual photographer seeking to set up an LLC to house her latest photography project depicting non-traumatic images of black life in Philadelphia.
- Project 27007: Client is a nonprofit arts education institution seeking an attorney to give a one-hour presentation to its faculty and continuing education class members on the subject of copyright law as it specifically pertains to arts educator curriculums and course materials prepared for digital platforms such as YouTube and Zoom.
Trusts & Estates
- Project 26963: Client is an individual photographer seeking assistance in verifying and enforcing the validity of a Power of Attorney document drafted by a deceased colleague and friend of his bestowing authority on the Client to direct the disposition of his friend’s collection of photographic works.