Greetings PVLA Volunteers!
Thank you for your continued dedication and support of the creative community through Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts. As the world collectively seeks to respond to the global COVID-19 pandemic, PVLA is continuing to aid artists and arts organizations across the Philadelphia region. Now more than ever, it is essential that we as a community come together to help those in need.
Please see below for a list of available pro bono projects for artists and arts organizations, and let us know whether you would be interested and available to take on one of these cases. If you are interested in taking on a pro bono assignment, please contact one of our Legal Service Coordinators at [email protected] to obtain further information If you have any questions about representing a pro bono PVLA or PA Patent client, please do not hesitate to contact our Executive Director, Ryan Morris, at [email protected].
NOTE: attorneys should be sure to submit a volunteer application before signing on to take a pro bono case with PVLA.
- Project 27065 (Full Service): Client is an independent musician and composer seeking an attorney to provide review and consultation regarding a standard agreement that she received from BMI for the registration of several of her songs. Client would also like the attorney to provide further consultation regarding the nature of Performers’ Rights Organizations (“PRO’s”) generally, including the pros and cons of working with such organizations as an independent artist.
- Project 27107 (Full Service): Client is an independent music artist/producer seeking an attorney to review a prior ownership and distribution agreement signed with other artists and co-producers and an outside record label, for a collaborative song release, and to offer consultation and assistance in assessing and recovering any royalties that may be owed to the client for both the original and remixed versions of the song. Client would also like the attorney to provide consultation and assistance in negotiating and drafting an ownership and distribution agreement for the anticipated release of a second song collaboration featuring some of the same artists and co-producers. (See also “Intellectual Property” below).
- Project 27159 (Full Service): Client is an independent documentary filmmaker currently working on a collaborative film project documenting the correlation between patterns of urban renewal and gentrification and the rise in gun violence in minority communities within the city of Allentown, PA. Client is currently seeking an attorney to assist in drafting various template agreements for use in production on the film, including: 1) release agreements for individuals/locations featured in the film; 2) independent contractor and work-for-hire agreements with the cast/crew; 3) licensing agreements for the use of archival video footage; and 4) a partnership agreement with his co-producer/director on the film.
- Project 27165 (Full Service): Client is a local nonprofit symphony orchestra company located in Delaware County seeking assistance in negotiating with a local chapter of the American Federation of Musicians (“AFM”) union to secure an extension of their previous annual artist agreements for the remainder of their 2020-21 season. In the event that an agreement cannot be reached prior to the end of the ’21 season, the client would like the attorney to counsel and assist them in planning for the next round of negotiations with AFM for the 2021-22 season.
- Project 26825 (Full Service): Client is the daughter of two prominent Philadelphia Jazz musicians seeking assistance in obtaining copyright ownership and control of her mother’s music catalog.
- Project 26925 (Full Service): Client is an independent filmmaker seeking assistance in negotiating and securing a licensing agreement for her latest production about sexual violence awareness with a national anti-sexual violence nonprofit. Client also seeks legal consultation regarding the submission of her film to various domestic and international film festivals.
- Project 27028 (Full Service): Client is an independent dance instructor seeking assistance in securing intellectual property protections for her recorded online teaching videos demonstrating choreography and sequences using “Alexander Technique.” Client would also like a consultation regarding the use of copyrighted images/music in future videos.
- Project 27105 (Full Service): Client is an independent musician seeking counsel and assistance in negotiations with a music production company to have her music removed from their website and streaming platforms. Alternatively, Client would like the attorney to assist her in renegotiating a previously-drafted, unexecuted licensing agreement with the organization to amend the terms of their streaming.
- Project 27107 (Full Service): Client is an independent music artist/producer seeking an attorney to review a prior ownership and distribution agreement signed with other artists and co-producers and an outside record label, for a collaborative song release, and to offer consultation and assistance in assessing and recovering any royalties that may be owed to the client for both the original and remixed versions of the song. Client would also like the attorney to provide consultation and assistance in negotiating and drafting an ownership and distribution agreement for the anticipated release of a second song collaboration featuring some of the same artists and co-producers. (See also “Contracts” above).
- Project 27220 (Consultation): Client is an independent opera singer currently seeking review and one-time consultation regarding an office action on his application for federal trademark protection.
- Project 27291 (Consultation): Client is an independent graphic artist/designer seeking a one-time consultation with an attorney to discuss the legal considerations surrounding the use of images depicting copyrighted/trademarked characters from popular video games on shirts and other merchandise.
- Project 26965 (Full Service): Client is a fiscally-sponsored cinema arts organization with a mission to engage diverse audiences through globally-minded contemporary and repertory independent film programming. Client is seeking an attorney to counsel and assist them in terminating their agreement with their fiscal sponsor and incorporate as a separate independent nonprofit entity.
- Project 27144 (Full Service): Client is a nonprofit organization with a mission to promote, present and educate members of the public on Indian classical music and dance. Client is seeking an attorney to assist them in reviewing and drafting a sexual harassment policy to be implemented at all levels of the organization (e.g. hiring/employment policies, talent and performance booking contracts, organization bylaws, etc.).
- Project 26703 (Consultation): Client is a sculptor looking to convert her property into an AirBNB and wants to obtain an attorney to make sure she is paying the appropriate taxes and obtains the appropriate licensing, etc.