Greetings PVLA Volunteers!
Thank you for your continued dedication and support of the creative community through Philadelphia Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts. As the world collectively seeks to respond to the global COVID-19 pandemic, PVLA is continuing to aid artists and arts organizations across the Philadelphia region. Now more than ever, it is essential that we as a community come together to help those in need.
Please see below for a list of available pro bono projects for artists and arts organizations, and let us know whether you would be interested and available to take on one of these cases. If you are interested in taking on a pro bono assignment, please contact one of our Legal Service Coordinators at [email protected] to obtain further information If you have any questions about representing a pro bono PVLA or PA Patent client, please do not hesitate to contact our Executive Director, Ryan Morris, at [email protected].
NOTE: attorneys should be sure to submit a volunteer application before signing on to take a pro bono case with PVLA.
- Project 26915: Client is a freelance graphic designer seeking to draft a template services agreement for use with future clients that will ensure timely payment and client authorization to include works in her personal portfolio.
- Project 26938: Client is an independent musical artist seeking review and consultation on a publishing agreement that he intends to use with other artists on a joint recording project.
- Project 26924: Client is the sole proprietor of a small jazz band seeking assistance in determining eligibility for PPP loan funding or other financial relief options through the SBA.
- Project 26943: Client is the sole proprietor of a small art show and custom framing business seeking assistance in filing for unemployment assistance or other financial relief options available to her.
- Project 26464: Client is an independent clothing designer seeking consultation and assistance in resolving a potential copyright infringement involving one of her clothing designs. (See also Intellectual Property and Small Business below).
- Project 26359: Client is a singer and musical artist seeking consultation related to royalties paid through BMI and/or possible legal action against a radio promoter hired to promote her songs to radio stations.
- Project 26537: Client is the Community Outreach Chair of a local arts organization seeking counsel and assistance in pursuing a possible defamation suit for an allegedly false Protection From Abuse order issued against her by her husband.
- Project 26846: Client is a graphic designer seeking consultation and assistance in responding to allegations of trademark infringement and unfair competition for use of her business name.
- Project 26580: Client is a writer and game show developer seeking assistance in contacting two television networks which had previously expressed interest in his TV game show idea.
- Project 26464: Client is an independent clothing designer seeking to trademark the name for her clothing line business. (See also Dispute Resolution above and Small Business below).
- Project 26890: Client is an arts organization that has a new creative project assisting people living with dementia. Client is seeking evaluation of its use of images and quotes and is seeking assistance in registering/applying for all forms of IP protection necessary (likely copyright and/or trademark).
- Project 26825: Client is the daughter of two prominent Philadelphia Jazz musicians seeking assistance in obtaining copyright ownership and control of her mother’s music catalog.
- Project 26858: Client is a small independent book store seeking to incorporate as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit entity.
- Project 26422: Client is an artist with a home studio in Philadelphia seeking assistance in appealing a property tax increase levied by the Philadelphia Office of Property Assessment.
- Project 26703: Client is a sculptor looking to convert her property into an AirBNB and wants to obtain an attorney to make sure she is paying the appropriate taxes and obtains the appropriate licensing, etc.
- Project 26464: Client is an independent clothing designer seeking assistance in setting up her clothing line business as an LLC (See Also Dispute Resolution and Intellectual Property above)